UPDATE: Former President Jimmy Carter was released from a Georgia hospital Wednesday after spending more than two weeks recovering from surgery to relieve pressure on his brain caused by bleeding from recent falls.

"Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter was released from Emory University Hospital this morning after successful surgery and recovery to relieve pressure on his brain caused by a subdural hematoma," said a statement from the Carter Center. "He and Mrs. Carter look forward to enjoying Thanksgiving at home in Plains, where he will continue to recover."

The statement said the Carters were grateful for supportive prayers, notes and cards they had received during the 95-year-old's hospital stay.

In October, the same month Carter became the first U.S. president to reach 95 years old, he fell at home, fracturing his pelvis.

He had also fallen earlier in the month and received stitches above his brow. He was reported to be feeling fine after that Oct. 6 incident at his home.

In May, Carter broke his hip and underwent surgery after falling at his home in Plains, Georgia, as he was leaving to go turkey hunting.

The 39th president said in August 2015 that he had been diagnosed with cancer and would undergo treatment for several melanoma spots on his brain and liver. Previously, a mass had been removed from his liver that was also melanoma. He said months later that an MRI scan showed his cancer was gone.

Carter has spent his post-presidential years as a highly visible advocate around the world for human rights and the poor. He is also a fixture as a Sunday school teacher at Maranatha Baptist Church.

Soon after his Oct. 6 fall, Carter volunteered at a project for Habitat for Humanity, an organization that he has worked closely with since 1984.

PREVIOUS STORY: The Carter Center provided an update Tuesday morning, saying that 'Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter is recovering at Emory University Hospital following surgery this morning to relieve pressure on his brain from a subdural hematoma.  There are no complications from the surgery. President Carter will remain in the hospital as long as advisable for observation. We do not anticipate any further statements until he is released from the hospital. President and Mrs. Carter thank everyone for the many well-wishes they have received.'

PREVIOUS STORY: Former President Jimmy Carter was admitted Monday night to Emory University Hospital in Atlanta ahead of a procedure to relieve pressure on his brain, the Carter Center announced in a statement posted to Twitter.

The pressure was caused by bleeding from his recent falls, the center said. Carter, 95, will undergo the procedure Tuesday morning.

"President Carter is resting comfortably, and his wife, Rosalynn, is with him," the center said in its statement.

News of Carter's procedure comes after the former president was hospitalized twice last month for two falls in his house in Plains, Georgia. Carter required 14 stitches above his brow after his first fall, where he hit his forehead "on a sharp edge," and later received treatment for a minor pelvic fracture after his second fall.

He previously survived brain and liver cancer.

Carter celebrated his 95th birthday on October 1, becoming the oldest living former US president -- a title once held by George H.W. Bush, who died in late 2018 at age 94.

Despite his age and health complications, Carter hasn't eased off his volunteerism.

Along with Rosalynn Carter, he has volunteered for Habitat for Humanity for 35 years, building homes all over the United States and around the world. They have worked alongside 103,000 volunteers in 14 countries, including India, South Korea and the Philippines.

"I fell down and hit my forehead on a sharp edge and had to go to the hospital. And they took 14 stitches in my forehead and my eye is black, as you've noticed. But I had a number one priority and that was to come to Nashville and build houses," Carter said to a group of volunteers the same day he was hospitalized last month.

Earlier this month, Carter said he found he was "was absolutely and completely at ease with death" after doctors told him in 2015 that his cancer had spread to his brain.

"I assumed, naturally, that I was going to die very quickly," Carter said during a church service in Plains. "I obviously prayed about it. I didn't ask God to let me live, but I asked God to give me a proper attitude toward death. And I found that I was absolutely and completely at ease with death."

"It didn't really matter to me whether I died or lived. Except I was going to miss my family, and miss the work at the Carter Center and miss teaching your Sunday school service sometimes and so forth. All those delightful things," the 39th president added, smiling.

This story has been updated.