Chattanooga Fire Dept. reminds people of portable heater dangers
While people try to stay warm ahead of Monday's temperature drop, some people might turn to portable space heaters to stay warm.
The Chattanooga Fire Department has a warning for people turning to alternative heating devices like space heaters.
READ MORE | Channel 3 Storm Alert weather
Battalion Chief Ashley May said space heaters are a huge reason for house fires.
"They don't realize the heat they can put off and how quick things can catch on fire close to them," May said. "A lot of people go to bed at night with space heaters on and we, please, ask you to turn the space heaters off when you go to bed."
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), space heaters were the cause of 43% of home heating fires from 2011 to 2015 in the U.S.
But space heaters aren't the only heating devices that raise concern.
"You got some people that use gas heat, probable gas heat and if you do that, we ask that you the proper fuel that they are asking for," May said. "On top of that, let it cool down a bit before you refuel it and keep your fuel outside of your home."
It's almost important to make sure you have changed the batteries for your smoke detectors in your home.
As for carbon monoxide detectors, he suggests you have one on each level of your home.