UPDATE: The Tennessee Occupational Safety and Health Administration (TOSHA) is investigating an incident at Unum on Monday that sent several employees with elevated levels of carbon monoxide to hospitals.

A spokesperson for TOSHA released the following statement to Channel 3:

"Tennessee OSHA is aware of a possible carbon monoxide incident at the UNUM building that made several workers sick Monday afternoon. Because one of the workers was transported to the hospital and admitted as a precaution, the agency is conducting a rapid response investigation. This investigation entails sending a letter to the building’s owner asking about the issue that caused workers to get sick and what measures were taken to fix the issue. Once the building’s owner responds, TOSHA will determine if any further action is necessary."

Chattanooga Fire Department spokesperson Lindsey Rogers says fire crews arrived at the building on Walnut Street to find elevated carbon monoxide levels in a construction area.

Rogers says the HVAC system was purged to vent through the roof and the ventilation dropped the CO levels well within the normal range.

UNUM spokesperson Kelly Spencer says, "Unum's top priority remains the health and safety of employees. Efforts will continue to ensure that the workspace remains safe and secure for all employees. Employees who have experienced health issues are encouraged to contact the HR response team."

Stay with the WRCB app for updates to this developing story. 


PREVIOUS STORY: The Chattanooga Fire Department responded to a call that Unum was sending employees home who were experiencing headaches at the downtown location on Walnut Street on Monday.

CFD spokesperson Lindsey Rogers says some employees expressed signs of illness late in the afternoon.

Rogers says an employee stopped by a fire station, where it was discovered that they had elevated carbon monoxide levels.

First responders received reports that other employees showed up at area hospitals with elevated carbon monoxide levels.

Fire crews arrived at the building and found elevated carbon monoxide levels in a construction area.

The HVAC system was purged to vent through the roof and the ventilation dropped the CO levels well within the normal range. 

UNUM spokesperson Kelly Spencer says, "Unum's top priority remains the health and safety of employees. Efforts will continue to ensure that the workspace remains safe and secure for all employees. Employees who have experienced health issues are encouraged to contact the HR response team."

This is a developing story.

Stay with the WRCB app for updates.