UPDATE: Drug Take Back Day Saturday; vape pens and cartridges included this year
Several organizations in the Tennessee Valley are coming together to host “Drug Take Back Day” Saturday, October 26.
For the first time, the DEA will now accept vaping devices and cartridges at any of its drop-off locations during the event. All batteries must be removed before the items are dropped off. If batteries cannot be removed prior to drop-off, the DEA encourages individuals to consult with stores that recycle lithium-ion batteries.
Calandra Smith, the program coordinator with the Hamilton County Coalition, said she supports the addition of vaping products.
"I think if we start making people more aware that we have to properly dispose of these things, they will realize how dangerous these are," Smith said.
The goal is to give residents a safe and secure way to dispose of unused prescription drugs and learn more about the growing epidemic of medicine and opioid abuse.
Sites include 14 Hamilton County area locations as well as sites in Marion, Bradley and Sequatchie.
The event will be from 10:00 a.m to 2:00 p.m at locations (listed below) in Hamilton County.
- Food City, 3901 Dayton Boulevard, Red Bank, TN 37415
- Mt. Canaan Baptist Church, 4801 Highway 58, Chattanooga, TN 37416
- Orchard Knob Baptist Church, 1734 East 3rd Street, Chattanooga, TN 37404
- Second Missionary Baptist Church, 2305 East 3rd Street, Chattanooga, TN 37404
- Elks Lodge #91, 1069 Graysville Road, Chattanooga, TN 37421
- Walgreens, 2289 Gunbarrel Road, Chattanooga, TN 37421 (free shredding available at this site)
- Walgreens, 3605 Brainerd Road, Chattanooga, TN 37411
- Walgreens, 5301 Ringgold Road, Chattanooga, TN 37412
- Walgreens, 110 North Market Street, Chattanooga, TN 37405
- Walgreens, 9307 Lee Highway, Chattanooga, TN 37363
- Walgreens, 3550 Broad Street, Chattanooga, TN 37408
- Walgreens, 5478 TN Highway 53, Hixson, TN 37343 (free shredding available at this site)
- Walgreens, 121 Harrison Lane, Soddy Daisy, TN 37379
- Rite-Aid, 2104 McCallie Ave, Chattanooga, TN 37404
The Marion County location is CVS in Jasper at 4712 Main Street from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. CST.
The Sequatchie County locations are Walgreens and Walmart in Dunlap off Rankin Ave from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. CST.
The Bradley County location is the Save-A-Lot in Cleveland at 122 Keith St. SW.