Chattanooga Mayor Andy Berke has requested a meeting with Tennessee American Water officials to find out what caused a water main break.

The break left more than 30,000 people without water for nearly two days.

The boil water advisory was lifted around 4 Monday afternoon.

Officials say they're looking into the infrastructure, but former Chattanooga Mayor Ron Littlefield says that should have been done a decade ago.

“It's their fault because they don't maintain their system,” Littlefield said.

Littlefield says the water main break could have been prevented by the water company.

“This illustrates to me that they haven't really come up to a level that a city like Chattanooga deserves,” Littlefield said.

Littlefield asked the water company to make changes to their system years ago and now city officials want answers.

“Potential infrastructure issues like this that need to be looked at and need to be addressed. So we are definitely working hard to find those options and alternatives for our community,” Chief Operating Officer Maura Sullivan said.

Sullivan says this weekend was a learning experience.

Hamilton County Office of Emergency Management said police officers, firefighters, and volunteers passed out more than half a million bottles of water over the weekend to those in need.

"It was a team effort by the community and the EOC. We couldn't be happier to be part of this community and the working together to make that happen,” Director of Operations Kevin Kruchinsky said.

The company says they plan to investigate how this all happened and figure out what needs to be done to make sure this doesn't happen again.

"We thoroughly review our resiliency plans and we evaluate upgrades for our infrastructure as they make sense for our customers. So it has been part of our evaluation. And we will continue to get those options as needed,” Krunchinsky said.

"We will be in constant contact continuing through this investigation with the water company, and the mayor won't stop until he has that full investigation,” Sullivan said.

A spokesperson with the mayor’s office says they haven't set a date to meet but it will be in the near future.