Why is Friday the 13th so unlucky? Here are some reasons
Many people dread when they see the 13th day of the month land on a Friday. Just like today!
According to the History Channel, many people have had negative superstitions tied to Friday the 13th, some even just with the number 13.
Some superstitions include:
- Bad luck if you see a black cat.
- Bad luck if you break a mirror.
- Bad luck if you open an umbrella indoors.
- Bad luck if you walk under a ladder.
- Some hotels and hospitals have eliminated the 13th floor in their buildings due to bad luck.
It is unclear why or when this superstition began, but superstitions have circled around for years.
The History Channel states a number of traumatic events have occurred on Friday the 13th including:
- The German bombing of Buckingham Palace in September of 1940.
- A cyclone that killed thousands of people in Bangladesh in November of 1970.
- A Chilean Air Force plane went missing in the Andes in October of 1972.
- The death of Tupac Shakur in September of 1996.
- The crash of the Costa Concordia cruise ship off the coast of Italy that killed 30 people in January of 2012.
This year, the only Friday the 13th's are in September and December.