The White House has dropped its attempt to move forward with a controversial plan to eliminate up to $4 billion in foreign aid funding, several officials confirmed Thursday.

A source familiar told CNN that it was President Donald Trump's decision not to move forward with the plan.

The decision to drop the planned rescission package comes following opposition from bipartisan lawmakers and foreign policy advocates to the move that could have cut up to $4 billion in funding to the State Department and the US Agency for International Development.

"The President has been clear that there is fat in our foreign assistance and we need to be wise about where US money is going, which is why he asked the admin to look into options to doing just that. It's clear that there are those on the Hill who aren't willing to join in curbing wasteful spending," the official said.

Politico was the first to report that the rescission package would not move forward.

Behind the scenes, congressional appropriators from both parties and State Department officials had lobbied the White House to back off the planned cuts. The Trump administration has sought to decrease what it believes is wasteful spending and make foreign aid more conditional on support for US policies. White House officials believed they had the authority to cancel the funds without congressional approval.

This is the second year in a row that the Office of Management and Budget attempted to put forward a rescission package. The plan was dropped last year as well after widespread backlash, including from Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.

This story is breaking and will be updated.