Cleanliness is an issue for some restaurants
We have one failure and two very low scores in this week's health inspection reports. The reports also show that kitchen staffs need to learn how to clean better.
Mexi-Wings in Charleston received a score of 57 because of multiple violations. Food had to be thrown out due to not being cooked, cooled, stored, or labeled properly. There was evidence of insects or rodents. Cleanliness of the restaurant or personnel was lacking. Inspectors found food not prepared properly and employees not wearing gloves. The inspector saw improper thawing; f ood should be thawed ahead of time in coolers or in clean/sanitized three-compartment sink, submerged in water with continuous running water under 70°F. Additionally, five pounds of raw meat that had been sitting on the counter for more than 2 hours had to be thrown out.
The second of the two restaurants receiving a low score was also in Charleston. Willie's on North Lee Highway scored a 73. There, the inspector noticed employees not wearing gloves while preparing food. Food was not being cooled at correct temperatures or labeled correctly. Personal cleanliness was not practiced nor proper handwashing. Also, raw pork and raw ground beef were improperly stored over ready-to-eat cooked chicken in the cooler. Ten pounds of meat dated June 27, 2019, was found in the cooler and had to be thrown out.
The other low score was in Hamilton County at Forbidden City on Gunbarrel Road, which received a 75. The inspector saw an employee eating while preparing food in the kitchen. Another employee was making salads with bare hands. Food in the coolers was not dated. There was excessive grime build up on inside the ice machine. Repairs need to be made to the walls and ceiling.
Also in Hamilton County, Touchdown Wings on Brainerd Road received an 80. Employees did not demonstrate food safety knowledge. Food cooked ahead when not busy was being held at improper temperatures. An employee was seen using a cell phone and did not wash hands afterward.
- 94 Mo Mo Hibachi 9332 Dayton Pike
- 94 Popeyes # 5614 3352 S. Broad Street
- 97 Guacamole 5600 Brainerd Road
- 97 Countryside Cafe 8223 Mahan Gap Road
- 98 Champy's 526 E MLK Blvd.
- 100 The Cheesecake Factory #0208 2084 Hamilton Place Blvd.
- 100 Jersey Mikes Subs 5975 Elementary Way
- 100 Zaxby's # 66105 8884 Old Lee Highway
- 100 Smoothie King 5975 Elementary Way
- 100 Regan's Place 24 Station Street
- 100 Rodizio Grill Hamilton Place 2100 Hamilton Place Blvd.
- 100 Five Guy's Burgers & Fries 2020 Gunbarrel Road100 St John's Restaurant 1278 Market Street
- 100 Papa Johns 9408 Apison Pike
- 100 Panda Express #3011 484 Northgate Mall Road
- 100 Subway 5922 Hixson Pike100 Bite Me Bakery 9408 Apison Pike
- 100 Firehouse Subs c/o David Pifer 9032 Old Lee Highway
- 86 Wendy's 2390 McGrady Dr. Cleveland
- 93 The Gondolier Pizza 3300 Keith St. Cleveland
- 93 N'awlins 2595 Georgetown Rd Cleveland
- 93 Steak N' Shake 220 Paul Huff Pkwy Cleveland
- 93 Family Tree Food 310 20th St. SE Clevland
- 95 Firehouse Subs 615 Paul Huff Pkwy Cleveland
- 98 Imperial Garden 217 Ocoee Crossing Cleveland
- 99 Unity Center Kitchen 685 Benton Pike Cleveland
- No food service reports
- 95 Springhill Suites Pool 155 General Lee Dr. Ringgold
- 100 Dogwood Bible Camp Diving Pool 5296 Dogwood Valley Rd. Tunnel Hill
- 100 Corner Coffee 48 Court St. Trenton
- No reports this week
- 89 Hardee's 12876 N. Hwy 27 Chickamauga
- 96 Jack's Family Restaurant 201 Church St. Chickamauga
- 99 Rock City Big Rock Grill 1400 Patten Rd. Lookout Mountain
- 100 LaFayette Golf Club 638 S. Main St. LaFayette
- 100 Starbucks 1400 Patten Rd. Lookout Mountain
- 85 Econo Lodge 2209 N. Main St. LaFayette
- 100 Camp Lookout Pool 3130 Hwy 157 Rising Fawn
- 88 Captain D's 1236 Glenwood Ave. Dalton
- 92 Shoney's 1302 W. Walnut Ave. Dalton
- 94 Dalton/Whitfield Senior Center 302 Cappes St. Dalton
- 96 Gill's Grill 15111 Abutment Rd. Dalton
- 97 Pupuseria Salvadorena La Bendicion 307 Smith Industrial Blvd Ste C-D Dalton