Chlorine leak causes scare in suburban Birmingham
PELHAM, Ala. (AP) - Authorities have asked residents to stay inside after a chlorine leak was discovered near homes and businesses in suburban Birmingham.
Pelham Fire Chief Tim Honeycutt says a worker discovered a leaky container containing about 150 pounds of chlorine gas inside a water treatment station Wednesday. He says a resident had called after smelling something unusual in the area.
One person was sent to a hospital with breathing problems, but no serious injuries were reported.
The chief said workers were able fix the leak. But city officials asked residents of a nearby neighborhood and businesses to shelter in place and to avoid going outside until the gas dissipated.
Exposure to chlorine gas can cause breathing problems, burning eyes and nausea.
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.