AUB customers will see increase in electric bill beginning in June
The Athens Utility Board posted on their Facebook page that local electric power rates for June will rise by roughly 7.3 percent and will main at this rate through September, going from the spring rates to the summer rates.
The AUB residential power rate for June will be $0.09295 per kilowatt hour compared to May’s rate of $0.08662.
In TVA’s rate scheme, summer base power rates are higher than those in the spring and account for the bulk of the month-to-month increase, said AUB’sWayne Scarbrough.
The month-over-month change in rate will increase the average residential user of 1200 kilowatt hours by $7.60.
Here are some ways to reduce your summer utility bills.
- Bump your thermostat to 75 degrees. Sixty-nine degrees feels great, but it will result in considerably more energy use and a notably higher cooling bill.
- Check all doors and windows to ensure they are completely closed at all times.
- Use weather stripping on doors and windows to preserve cooled air.
- Use curtains, awnings, or other coverings for windows to reduce solar heat gain from the sun.
- Ceiling fans can help circulated cooled air throughout the house.