Chattanooga Area Food Bank receives $10,000 grant from Food Lion
The Chattanooga Area Food Bank is one of 18 regional food banks to receive a grant from The Food Lion Feeds Charitable Foundation. The Foundation is donating $315,000 to fund local hunger-relief initiatives through the company's regional food bank partners and its national hunger-relief partner, Feeding America®.
The announcement was made at Food Lion Feeds’ fourth annual “Feedy’s” awards, which honors food banks, community leaders and Food Lion associates who share the company's commitment to ending hunger in the towns and cities Food Lion serves.
Child Hunger Grants
Feeding America will receive a $165,000 grant from the foundation to focus on child hunger and fund the following member food banks, each receiving $10,000:
- America Second Harvest of Coastal Georgia (Savannah, Ga.)
- Blue Ridge Area Food Bank (Charlottesville, Va.)
- Chattanooga Area Food Bank (Chattanooga, Tenn.)
- Feeding America Southwest Virginia (Roanoke, Va.)
- Food Bank of Delaware (Newark, Del.)
- Foodbank of Southeast Virginia & the Eastern Shore (Norfolk, Va.)
- Fredericksburg Area Food Bank (Fredericksburg, Va.)
- Harvest Hope Food Bank (Columbia, S.C.)
- Inter-Faith Food Shuttle (Raleigh, N.C.)
- Lowcountry Food Bank (Myrtle Beach, S.C.)
- MANNA Foodbank (Asheville, N.C.)
- Second Harvest Food Bank of Metrolina (Charlotte, N.C.)
- Second Harvest Food Bank of Northwest N.C. (Winston-Salem, N.C.)
- Virginia Peninsula Foodbank (Hampton, Va.)
- $90,000 to Lowcountry Food Bank for their pilot program to fight Veteran Hunger in Coastal South Carolina. Through this program, the food bank will be addressing systemic issues and barriers for homeless veterans.
- $50,000 to Second Harvest Food Bank of Northeast Tennessee for their pilot program, Veterans Serving Veterans. Through this program, the food bank will open eight new stationary food pantries at military and veterans’ organizations in eight counties in northeast Tennessee.
- $10,000 to the Virginia Peninsula Food Bank to expand their military pantry distributions. Through this program, the food bank will be starting pantry distributions on an active military base, the first and only one of its kind.
Food Lion launched Food Lion Feeds, its hunger-relief platform, in 2014 with a commitment to donating 500 million meals by the end of 2020. To learn more about Food Lion Feeds, visit www.foodlion.com/feeds.