UPDATE: The woman charged in the hit and run death of a Chattanooga police officer has been released on bond Wednesday.

Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Matt Lea says 54-year-old Janet Elaine Hinds has been released from Silverdale Detention Center and is on house arrest.

She is required to wear a GPS monitor.

Hinds is accused of the hit and run on Hamill Road that killed Chattanooga Officer Nicholas Galinger on Saturday, February 23.

During a hearing on Tuesday, Hamilton County General Sessions Judge Alexander McVeagh reduced Hinds' original bond amount of $299,000 to $149,000 and sent the case to the Grand Jury.

Stay with the WRCB app for updates to this story.

PREVIOUS UPDATE: Janet Hinds, the woman charged in the fatal hit-and-run that claimed the life of Chattanooga police Officer Nicholas Galinger, appeared before General Sessions Judge Alexander McVeagh on Tuesday morning.

Chattanooga Police Officer Jarrod Justice was the first witness to testify. Justice is a Field Training Officer (FTO) and was with Officer Galinger the night of the fatal crash.

He described how Galinger exited the police car to check the manhole, marked with a lighted folding barricade, and how the body cams worked. Justice also explained that the police car's blue lights were not on, because they can serve as a distraction to drivers at times. 

Justice said when he saw the car Hinds was driving approaching, he yelled out to Galinger, but was not heard.

“I began yelling at him to get out of the roadway. I yelled at him multiple times,” Justice said.

The second witness to testify was Jessica Powell, a server at the Farm to Fork restaurant in Ringgold, where Hinds spent several hours the night of the crash.

Her bar tab showed that she purchased three Michelob Light draft beers and a drink called a Lemon Shot during the three-plus hours she was at the establishment.

CPD Officer Joe Warren was called to the stand after body cam video was shown. Warren is the lead investigator in the case.

CPD Detective Giuseppe Troncone then took the stand after a short recess. The day after the fatal crash, he found Honda CRV vehicle driven by Hinds after 1-2pm the day afterward.

Troncone testified that the vehicle was registered to same address where it was later found parked. No one was home at the time.

Taking the stand about 1:45pm Tuesday, Sgt. Justin Kilgore of the CPD traffic unit testified that he helped supervise crash scene investigation. Kilgore explained that the number on the front grill, left at the scene, helped lead them to determine what type of vehicle they were searching.

Kilgore said CPD ran a list of all the CRVs registered in Hamilton County. The search returned 400 such vehicles. Kilgore then assigned 10 vehicles to each officer to investigate.

Kilgore later responded to the Port Drive address where the vehicle was found the following Sunday morning.

Police searched for Hinds at her boyfriend's house, another friend's house and the post office where she worked.

Judge McVeagh bound the vehicular homicide case over to the grand jury.

McVeagh also ruled that Hinds' bond would be lowered from the previous amount of $299,000 to $149,000.

The other conditions of her bond are house arrest and no driving.

PREVIOUS STORY: Monday, a judge set Janet Hinds bond to $299,000 along with the conditions of house arrest and no driving.

Prosecutors said Hinds is a flight risk because she did not stop after striking Officer Galinger and waited until Monday morning to turn herself in. The judge sided with the prosecution Monday in court. 

In their petition, Hinds' attorneys argued that she is not a flight risk.

"Ms. Hinds voluntarily turned herself into law enforcement and had intended to do so well before she was under any suspicion," her attorneys said.

Hinds' lawyers added, "that the death of Officer Galinger was a tragic accident not proximately caused by any conduct of the defendant." They explained that they plan to show that factors including road conditions, lighting, inadequate signage and weather were the "legal cause" of the crash.

Hinds' attorneys also mentioned that she "has an excellent reputation in the community..." and that Hinds is concerned about her health being cared for while in custody at CoreCivic Silverdale because she suffers from "significant medical issues."

District Attorney Neal Pinkston responded to Hinds' attorneys' request asking that the court deny it.

In the response, DA Pinkston explained they feel the bond is set for a reasonable amount and that the defense did not provide any proof to back up their claim that other factors caused the crash.

The court has not yet made a decision. 

Hinds is scheduled to be back in court on Tuesday, March 5.