A Northwest Whitfield High School student was airlifted to the hospital after a golf cart crash.

It happened Sunday on Charolais Trail in Cohutta, Georgia.

Georgia State Patrol troopers say four people all under the age of 16 were riding on that golf cart.

Sophomore Audrey Holder was one of them.

Her principal, Britt Adam, tells Channel 3 Holder was ejected from the golf cart and suffered a severe head injury.

They say everyone walked away with minor injuries except for Holder. 

Adams says Holder was at a friend’s house for a Super Bowl party on Sunday.

Around 6:40 p.m., Holder and three others drove a golf cart through the neighborhood.

Troopers say the driver lost control. That is when the golf cart tipped over and slid on its side.

Adams says he learned about the crash that same day.

“One of my teachers had heard and called me,” said Adams. “Nobody likes to get that phone call.”

The crash is still under investigation. However, they say it was dark when the crash happened and the weather was clear. It is not clear if charges will be filed against the driver.

Adams says Holder’s CT scans came back normal and had an MRI on Tuesday.

“They started physical therapy. Her personality is coming back so it's in God's hands,” he said.

A hardworking student and golfer is how Adams describes Holder, who he has known since she was in kindergarten.

“She is a little bundle of effort and it's great. If we all had students like her I wouldn't have a job I don't think,” Adams said. 

It is not clear when holder will be able to return to school and the golf course with her teammates, but Adams says the community will rally behind her as she continues to heal.

“It's still a critical time, but we're more positive today than we are yesterday and just hope that continues on," Adams said. 

Since the crash, Dalton city council members are reconsidering whether to allow the use of golf carts in the Windemere subdivision.

A vote was set at Monday’s meeting, but was tabled in order for council members to learn more about Sunday's crash.

The city's mayor, Dennis Mock, tells Channel 3 it will likely be back on the agenda in two weeks.