UPDATE: The suspect who fled officers in Collegedale Tuesday afternoon is facing multiple charges, including aggravated kidnapping.

Collegedale police say David Lee Stevens IV led officers on a pursuit in a stolen vehicle.

The chase began just before 2:00 pm when an officer noticed the vehicle had an illegal dark tinted tag cover on the license plate. The officer began following the vehicle. Stevens ran a stop sign on Little Debbie Parkway and took off.

During the pursuit, there were times when Stevens was driving at speeds of between 90-100 miles per hour.

Stevens led the chase to the Volkswagen exit. After turning onto Volkswagen Drive, police say the vehicle slowed down and the passenger side door opened. The passenger tried to jump out of the vehicle, but the vehicle took off again before he was completely out. This caused him to get caught in the seatbelt. He was dragged by the vehicle and hit his head on a tire. Police said his wrist appeared to have been run over.

The passenger told officers that Stevens was giving him a ride to Walmart. He said he tried to get Stevens to let him out of the vehicle multiple times once the pursuit began. He even said he pulled the emergency break several times to get Stevens to slow down, according to Collegedale police.

The passenger was taken to an area hospital for treatment. Police say he was not charged.

Stevens continued driving. At the intersection of Bonny Oaks and Volkswagen Drive, he sideswiped a vehicle but kept going.

Police said Stevens led them to the area around the Chattanooga Airport. Once he made it to the entry ramp on Airport Connector Road, Stevens turned his vehicle and drove the wrong way up the ramp. Police say at least three vehicles had to pull over to get out of Stevens' way.

Stevens finally got out of the vehicle near Highlands Memorial Gardens Cemetary on Shepherd Road. He took off on foot into the woods. One officer tried to tase Stevens, but only one probe struck him, and he was able to keep running, police said.

Police used a K-9 to drive Stevens out of the woods, but he ran off again.

Stevens was eventually cornered and taken into custody in the woods near Olan Mills Drive.

When officers searched Stevens and the stolen vehicle, they found multiple stolen debit cards, documents and IDs.

Stevens faces charges of:

  • Reckless Endangerment
  • Aggravated Assault (x3)
  • Improper Display of Registration or Tag
  • Stop Sign Violation
  • Speeding
  • Evading arrest by Motor Vehicle
  • Evading Arrest by Foot
  • Theft Over $1,000 (possession of stolen property)
  • Theft Under $1,000 (possession of stolen property)
  • Financial Responsibility
  • Reckless Driving
  • License Required
  • Aggravated Kidnapping

He also had multiple warrants, including one for evading, out of Hamilton County.

Stevens is being held on a $205,000 bond. He was already scheduled to appear in court on January 22.

PREVIOUS STORY: A police chase in Collegedale has ended with one suspect in police custody Tuesday evening.

Officials say the chase started when officers tried to stop a stolen vehicle in Collegedale.

Officials say the suspect led police on a chase to the Volkswagen exit where a passenger fell out the of the vehicle, which rolled over him.

Officials say the chase continued on I-75 to the Highway 153 area where the suspect eventually crashed the vehicle on W. Shepherd Road near the Coca-Cola Bottling Company and ran from the scene.

Collegedale's K-9 unit tracked the suspect in the woods, where he was taken into custody.

The suspect's name and charges have not been released at this time.

The passenger who fell out of the vehicle was taken to a local hospital for what are believed to be non-life-threatening injuries.

Stay with the WRCB app for updates to this story.