UPDATE: TN Supreme Court sets execution dates for six inmates in 2019, 2020
The Tennessee Supreme Court has set the execution dates for six inmates on death row, the court announced on Friday.
The six executions scheduled will occur in 2019 and 2020.
The executions scheduled on Friday include:
- Donnie Edward Johnson, May 16, 2019, convicted in 1985 of killing his wife Connie Johnson in Shelby County.
- Stephen Michael West, Aug. 15, 2019, convicted of the murder of Wanda Romines and the murder and rape of Sheila Romines in Union County in 1986.
- Charles Walton Wright, Oct. 10, 2019, convicted of the murders of Gerald Mitchell and Douglas Alexander in Davidson County in 1984.
- Lee Hall, aka Leroy Hall Jr., Dec. 5, 2019, convicted of the murder of Traci Crozier in Hamilton County in 1991.
- Nicholas Todd Sutton, Feb. 20, 2010, convicted of the murder of Carl Estep in 1985 in Morgan County. He was earlier convicted of the murder of his grandmother.
- Abu-Ali Abdur’ Rahman, formerly known as James Lee Jones, April 9, 2020, convicted of the murder of Patrick Daniels in 1986 in Davidson County.
All of the defendants had previous execution dates set, which were stayed for pending legislation.
David Earl Miller is scheduled to be executed on Dec. 6. He would be the third inmate to be executed in Tennessee in 2018.
HISTORY OF TN EXECUTIONS:
- Until 1913, all individuals convicted of a capital offense were hanged and no records were kept.
- From 1913-1915 there was no capital punishment in Tennessee.
- The first person on record to be executed by electrocution in Tennessee was Julius Morgan from Dyer County on July 13, 1916 for rape.
- There are 133 executions on record (beginning with the one listed above)
- Out of the 133 total, 125 were executed by electrocution from 1916-1960.
- There have been 13 people executed from our viewing area since 1921.
- Tennessee switched to lethal injection in 2000.
- The state went back to electrocution in 2007, and carried out the first execution by electrocution in 47 years.
- Two people have been executed in 2018 (the last one was Edmund Zagorski on November 1, 2018)
EXECUTION STATS: (The numbers below include the two execution from 2018)
- White inmates: 47
- Black inmates: 86
- Number of executions for rape: 36
- Number of executions for murder: 93
- Number of executions for rape and murder: 2 (these inmates were convicted of both rape and murder)
BREAKDOWN OF EXECUTIONS FROM THE CHANNEL 3 VIEWING AREA:
- Hamilton County: 8 executions
- Cyre Mus Jackson – August 3, 1921 for murder
- Taylor Neal -- August 3, 1921 for murder
- William Dwight – July 25, 1922 for murder
- Oscar Bevins – September 7, 1933 for rape
- Andrew Wilcoxson -- September 7, 1933 for rape
- Walter Reed – July 18, 1941 for murder
- Robert Hall – December 15, 1943 for murder
- George Hambrick -- December 15, 1943 for murder
- Bradley County: 2 executions
- Asbury Fields – February 18, 1922 for murder
- Barney Thompson – February 17, 1949 for murder
- Sequatchie County: 1 execution
- Clarence May – March 20, 1942 for murder
- Polk County: 1 execution
- William Headen – March 30, 1943 for murder
- Marion County: 1 execution
- Robert Tate – November 5, 1925 for murder
Read more at WSMV's website.