UPDATE: A standoff at a Dalton home ended after several hours of negotiations between police and the suspect, David Arnando Keefe. Several rounds of tear gas were used to force Keefe out of the home.

Keefe was involved in a disagreement with a woman at the Dalton, home and fired a shot, according to police.

"That's when we arrived on the scene. We set up a perimeter early on in the process we did see David Keefe. He walked out and then walked back in. We knew he was in the building," said Bruce Frazier with the Dalton Police Department. 

The woman was able to escape and called police, which prompted them to surround the home and cordon off the area around the Richards Street home. 

Keefe was in contact with police using an intercom system after destroying his phone in an effort to avoid speaking with negotiators. "He broke his cell phone so we didn't have any two way communication with him. At first we were shouting to him, we got on the loud speaker," said Frazier.

He came out of the house with his hands up, surrendering to police after several hours. David Keefe was examined by medical personnel before being brought over to the Whitfield County Jail. He faces numerous charges including aggravated assault and resisting arrest.

Family members came to the house during the negotiations.

 Stay with the WRCB app for updates to this story.

PREVIOUS STORY: Dalton Police have surrounded a home where an armed man has barricaded himself inside.

DPD Spokesman Brice Frazier says that the suspect, David Arnando Keefe, 23, was involved in a fight with his girlfriend and fired a shot during the fight.

The woman was unharmed and escaped to a neighbor’s home and called 911.

Keefe is said to be inside the apartment and police are maintaining a perimeter around the building on Richards Street. Police are using an intercom to communicate with Keefe, since they say he broke his cell phone so police couldn't contact him directly.

The Georgia State Patrol’s SWAT team are stationed at the home.