Transformer explosion causes fire at Chattanooga recycling center
A transformer explosion caused a fire at Chattanooga recycling center Saturday morning.
The Chattanooga Fire Department was called to P.S.C. Metals in the 900 block of W. 19th Steet around 9:30 am.
CFD officials said a transformer blew at a substation adjacent to the recycling center.
"Flames from the explosion spread to the exterior wall of P.S.C. Metals," a CFD spokesperson explained.
The flames were beginning to extend inside the building, but firefighters were able to put out the blaze before it could do much damage inside.
EPB and a subcontractor were called to repair the damaged substation.
The explosion caused a power outage in the surrounding area.
CFD said people were stranded in elevators in two different locations.
Firefighters helped people get out of one of the elevators. The others were able to escape on their own when power was restored.
No one was injured.
Stay with Channel 3 for the latest on this developing story.