UPDATE: A McMinn County woman set on fire by her grandson early July has passed away from her injuries.

The Athens Police Department says Carrie Brown passed away Sunday.

They say charges for Tysheen Walton will be upgraded to murder. 

PREVIOUS STORY: An Athens man is accused of fighting with his uncle and setting his grandmother on fire. 

Thirty-year-old Tysheen Walton faces several charges including attempted first-degree murder.

When officers arrived at the North Avenue home, they saw two men fighting in the yard. They also heard screams from an elderly woman inside.

"He was telling them that he was God and that he was there to judge them," Sherry Dilbeck who called 911 said.

It was an uneasy feeling for Dilbeck who was heading to her car on Thursday. When she heard and saw what was happening across the street, she called 911.

"I was just so scared. I was so worried about the lady and I didn't know what to do. I felt helpless because I couldn't help her," Dilbeck said.

Court records said Tysheen Walton had been living at the home with his grandmother and uncle for a couple of months. 

His uncle told police the 30 year old lit a styrofoam cooler with toilet paper inside on fire and threw it on his grandmother.

"This is a real family right now that's dealing with all of this tragedy. Just a horrible thing," Chief Cliff Couch of the Athens Police Department said.

The woman was flown to the hospital because of her severe burns.

Court documents also said the man told his family members they were going to "burn in hell" and that "he was going to kill them."

"Well, I knew right then I should call 911 because anytime anybody is saying that, they're not in the right mind," Dilbeck said.

Walton is now in the McMinn County jail.

Police did not recall prior calls to the home, but neighbors said they called 911 last month to report fighting at the home.

"I don't have any words for that. I don't understand it. I don't want him walking the streets of Athens," Dilbeck said.

The elderly woman's condition is unclear tonight.

Walton's bond has been set at $150,000. Part of the conditions include staying away from his uncle, grandmother, and the home.

A McMinn County court clerk told Channel 3 Walton has been in trouble with several misdemeanors dating back to 2011.

They included domestic assault and disorderly conduct. The clerk said Walton pleaded guilty to all of them.

Stay with the WRCB app for updates to this story.

ORIGINAL STORY: Tysheen Walton has been charged with attempted murder after reportedly setting a woman on fire at her Athens, TN house.

Officers arrived at 1012 North Avenue Thursday just after noon. In a release, police said they found Walton fighting another man in the front yard of the residence.

Inside the house, officers reportedly heard a woman screaming for help.

While Officer Gonzalez maintained custody of Mr. Walton, Officers Holmes and Roberts ran into the house.

They found an elderly woman inside, on fire.

The officers immediately began taking steps to extinguish the flames, which had spread into the house.

They were able to get the elderly woman to safety away from the burning house.

Later, police believe the man fighting Mr. Walton had been attempting to defend the female in the house.

Emergency Medical Personnel were called for the woman. Athens Fire Department responded to combat the fire in the house.

The woman was airlifted to the hospital for treatment.

Tysheen Walton was booked into the McMinn County Jail on charges of Attempted First Degree Murder, Aggravated Arson, Vandalism Over $1,000, and Aggravated Domestic Assault.

The investigation into this incident is ongoing.