UPDATE: A Grundy Co. sheriff's deputy has been indicted on a charge of voluntary manslaughter in the 2017 shooting of 20-year-old Shelby Comer.

Comer was killed last December. She was found in a vehicle following a chase and officer-involved shooting. 

Holmes has been placed on unpaid administrative leave and decommissioned by the sheriff's office, according to the sheriff's office.

He was released on a $10,000 bond and is due in court on November 28.

The sheriff's office said a lawsuit has also been filed in the case.

If convicted, Holmes could face up to six years in prison. He will be back in court in two weeks.

The District Attorney’s Office said Jacky Bean, the suspect who was in the vehicle with Comer, faces numerous charges including, attempted first-degree murder, evading arrest and three counts of reckless endangerment.

At the time of the shooting, Deputy Holmes was a part-time officer with the Grundy County Sheriff's Department. Part-time officers in Tennessee do not have to complete a law enforcement training academy. We have not been able to reach Holmes for comment.

He has been decommissioned as a deputy and is on unpaid leave pending the outcome of the case.

PREVIOUS STORY: Channel 3 has learned the identity of the deputy who fired a shot that may have killed a woman in Grundy County.

Our media partners in Nashville, WSMV, said Deputy Mike Holmes fired a shot during a high-speed chase on December 23rd.

The shooting happened during an attempted traffic stop. Investigators said Jacky Bean pointed a gun at the deputy, and that's when Holmes returned fire.

Shelby Comer was killed by a gunshot wound, but it's unclear if Holmes was the one who killed her.

There are also questions about how much law enforcement training Deputy Holmes received in the past. 

He works as a part-time deputy, meaning he is not required to be certified by the Tennessee Peace Officer Standards and Training, or POST Commission.

PREVIOUS STORY: Channel 3 has learned that the woman found dead in a car following an officer-involved shooting over the weekend in Grundy County suffered a gunshot wound.

District Attorney Mike Taylor says the TBI told him that the wound was found on 20-year-old Shelby Comer during an autopsy.

Taylor says he is waiting for the Medical Examiner's report, which will list Comer's official cause of death.

Stay with WRCBtv.com for updates to this story.

PREVIOUS STORY: Grundy County Sheriff Clint Shrum says that 32-year-old Jacky Wayne Bean, of Soddy-Daisy, is being held without bond following Saturday's incident.

Bean has been charged with attempted first-degree murder, evading arrest, 3 charges of reckless endangerment, DUI, and violation of implied consent. More charges are expected later this week, Shrum said in a news release.

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation is assisting in the investigation of the case.

PREVIOUS STORY: One woman is dead and a man is in the hospital after an officer-involved shooting in Grundy County.

According to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, 20-year old Shelby Comer was found dead in a car following the shooting. The suspect, Jackie Wayne Bean, per the Sheriff. was taken into custody and transported to the hospital around 8:00 Sunday morning. Sheriff Shrum said it’s unclear if Comer died during the shooting, or before.

The shooting happened around 10:30 Saturday night in the Coalmont area, according to the TBI. A Grundy County Sheriff’s deputy attempted a traffic stop on B Mine Road, when the driver allegedly pointed a firearm at the deputy. The deputy then fired into the vehicle several times, according to the TBI, then the vehicle drove away, hitting the police cruiser.

Roughly 20 minutes later, a person saw the suspected vehicle crash off the side of the road. According to the TBI, the suspect said he was shot and asked for the citizen’s vehicle. That person drove off and called police. When officers arrived, the suspect was gone, but Comer was found dead in the back of the car. 

Deputies caught the suspect and he was transported to the hospital, according to Sheriff Shrum. His identity has not been released. 

Comer’s body was sent off for an autopsy.

The deputy is on paid administrative leave, which Sheriff Shrum said is protocol.