Investigators are trying to determine what led up to the deadly electrocution of a man who was trying to save a small restaurant from a fire on Friday afternoon.

It happened just after 2 p.m. at Moss' Place on Tunnel Blvd.

Witnesses said they saw 48-year-old Michael Brady climb a ladder and extinguish the fire on the roof. It was when Brady was climbing back down that he stepped on a live wire, and died.

Cecil Calloway wipes away tears while remembering his good friend.

"He died helping, like he always did," Calloway said of Brady.

The 48-year-old was electrocuted after saving a small restaurant that caught fire.

"He saw the fire on top of the building, and he was attempting to help out, to do the right thing," said Bruce Garner, Chattanooga Fire Dept.

When firefighters arrived at Moss' Place, Brady told them he had just put out the fire with an extinguisher.

While trying to climb down from the roof, he somehow touched a live wire, collapsed, and fell to the ground. He was pronounced dead on the scene.

"I was at work, and my brother called me. He said, man, I've got some bad news," Calloway explained.

Fire trucks blocked off part of the street. Several of Brady's family members rushed to the scene.

"Ain't no homicide or nothing, man, that man died trying to help somebody," said Tracy Jones, Brady's cousin. "He died a hero today, yes he did."

"He's gonna be missed," said Calloway. "By the people in Pin Oaks and the people in Eastdale, he's gonna be greatly missed."


Chattanooga fire officials are investigating a fatal fire. 

Fire crews were called to Moss’ Place at 709 Tunnel Boulevard around 2:15pm on reports of smoke in the area.

Chattanooga Fire Department spokesperson Bruce Garner tells Channel 3, 48-year-old Michael Brady climbed a ladder to put out a fire on the roof of the building after getting a fire extinguisher from a neighboring business.

Garner says Brady told police and firefighters on the scene that the fire was out. As Brady began climbing down the ladder, Garner say he hit a live wire and fell to the ground.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Channel 3 has a crew on scene.

Stay with for the latest as it becomes available.