A 7-hour police standoff that shut down part of East Brainerd Road for seven hours on Tuesday ended peacefully.

The Hamilton County Sheriff's Office ended the standoff after deciding the man in question, who was at his home and carrying his own firearm, never broke any laws to begin with.

The situation was a major inconvenience for residents and commuters.

Many people had to drive miles out of their way to get home tonight. Others couldn't make it home at all until the standoff was over.

Patrol cars blocked East Brainerd Road east of Ooltewah-Ringgold Road. Nearby residents were stuck inside their homes.

"They advised everybody to stay in their house. You couldn't come out," said Jayce Chambers, who couldn't leave him home during the standoff. "They advised you to stay out of the woods because they had snipers, sharpshooters everywhere."

The situation started at a home on Torbett Lane. Deputies were there serving legal papers to a man for an order of protection.

"As they were leaving, they noticed that the resident had a weapon on him. The weapon was not displayed in a threatening manner, however it did concern the officers," said Matt Lea, HCSO spokesperson.

According to Lea, deputies asked the man to come to front porch to speak with them, but the man refused.

"Officers left in their vehicles, coming down here with blue lights," explained resident Dustin Cooper.

Because other people were inside the home, deputies called for backup, including SWAT and the Hostage Negotiation Team.

Two adults and a child were safely removed from the home.

The man spoke with negotiators for several hours.

"All the cop cars, I didn't know what was going on," said Gary Kittle, who was trying to drive home during rush hour.

Drivers couldn't drive east of Ooltewah-Ringgold Road, making for an inconvenient trip home during rush hour.

"I've gotta go probably about 14 or 15 miles out of the route," Kittle explained.

The road was re-opened around 7:30 p.m. Armored swat vehicles were spotted leaving the scene.

"We very respectfully backed down," said Lea, adding that after consulting with their legal teams, they realized the man never broke any laws.

"We want to stress to the public that we responded accordingly, we wanted to be prepared just in case," he said. "We'd rather be overprepared than underprepared."

No one was hurt during the standoff. The Sheriff's Office said because these kinds of situations can change rapidly, they responded the way they did to protect everyone involved.

UPDATE: A SWAT standoff that closed a portion of East Brainerd for hours is over.

It began this afternoon at a home Torbett Lane when Hamilton County sheriff's deputies tried to serve an order of protection against a man, who became upset and went back inside the home.

The armed man refused to come out and the SWAT team was called in.

The man eventually came out of the home after about seven hours.

The Sheriff's Office says after consulting with its legal team, the decision was made not to arrest the man.

East Brainerd Road at Westview Elementary School has reopened.

PREVIOUS STORY: East Brainerd Road is closed at Westview Elementary School to traffic after deputies attempted to serve an order of protection to a man Tuesday. 

The man became upset when deputies arrived and he went back into the home. Deputies are working to get the man to come out of the home to resolve the issue.

Hamilton County Sheriff's Office spokesman Matt Lea tells Channel 3, no hostages are being held in the home.

Law enforcement is asking the media to stage at East Hamilton School. 

Channel 3 has a crew on the scene.

Stay with WRCBtv.com for updates to this developing story.