CFD firefighters respond to compost pile fire
CFD says the fire was extinguished within minutes. No structures were involved and no injuries were reported
Chattanooga firefighters were called to a fire at the Chattanooga city wood recycling center on N Hawthorne Street around noon, Sunday.
Battalion Chief Don Bowman said the smoke and flames could be seen from several miles away. Five firefighter companies worked to get the blaze under control, using master streams from two aerials and some hand-held hose lines. CFD says the fire was extinguished within minutes. No structures were involved and no injuries were reported.
The cause of the fire appears to be accidental. Chief Bowman and employees with the recycling center believe the fire started from spontaneous combustion inside the large, steaming pile of compost. Because of the hot, dry conditions, Chief Bowman says everyone should be extra careful with things like cigarette butts and campfires.