Road closures for this weekend's Ironman 70.3
Chattanooga will host the IRONMAN 70.3 race this weekend.
Chattanooga will host the IRONMAN 70.3 race this weekend. Activities start on Friday, May 20 with a children’s race at noon and the IRONMAN Expo area will be open from noon to 7 p.m. on the Chattanooga Green.
The Rivermont Park and Tennessee Riverpark boat ramps will be closed to pleasure crafts between Ross’s Landing and the Chickamauga Dam from 5 a.m. through 10 a.m. on Sunday, May 22.
Traffic will be affected throughout the day on Sunday, May 22:
- Traffic will be stopped from crossing the cyclists’ lane when the athletes are present between 7 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. on West 20th Street, Broad Street, Market Street, and Alton Park Boulevard.
- Runners will be on the Riverwalk, Amnicola Highway, the Veterans Bridge, Barton Avenue, Hixson Pike and Riverview Road between 9:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
- River Street and Heritage Landing Drive from Tampa Street to Heritage Landing will be closed from 4 a.m. until 9 a.m. for the swim portion.
- The right eastbound lane of Riverfront Parkway between Molly Lane and Market Street.
- The right southbound lane of Market Street between West 20th St and West 40th Street.
- The I-24 on ramp and south bound off ramp at Market Street will be closed.
- Southbound Market Street from 20th to 40th Street will be closed to all traffic.
- Northbound Alton Park Boulevard from 40th Street to W. 33rd will be closed.
- Intersections of St. Elmo Avenue at West 42nd Street, along with Tennessee Avenue and W. 45th Street will be a 4 way stop from 7 a.m. until 1:30 p.m.
Several streets crossing the race route will be controlled by Chattanooga Police officers. Additionally. these areas will be closed and/or controlled by police officers as well, along with cross streets, from 9 a.m. Sunday until 1 a.m. Monday, May 23:
- Right eastbound lane of Fraizer Avenue between Forest Avenue and the Veterans Bridge
- Right northbound lane of Barton Avenue between Frazier Avenue and Baker Street
- Right northbound lane of Veterans Bridge between East 3rd Street and Barton Avenue
- Right westbound lane of Amnicola Highway between Old Curtain Pole Road and Lindsay Street
- Riverside Drive between Lindsay Street and Molly Lane
- The Battery Place off ramp from Riverside Drive
- Aquarium Way between Riverside Drive and Walnut Street
Closed from 9 a.m. Wednesday, May 18 until 5 a.m. on Monday, May 23 for setup and the race:
- Riverside Drive/Riverfront Parkway between Aquarium Way and Molly Street
- Chestnut Street between Aquarium Way and Riverfront Parkway
- The Southbound Veterans Bridge ramp to Riverside Drive