UPDATE: The TBI is investigating the death of a Bradley County Inmate.

Sheriff Eric Watson says it appears 53-year-old Hershel Dover died of natural causes. Official autopsy results are still pending.

Dover's grief-stricken family tells Channel 3 they are searching for answers.

"They said he fell dead. How can you fall dead when you were fine?" asked Gail Dover, after learning her brother-in-law died suddenly early Friday morning.

Dover was taken into custody on Wednesday for violating probation. That's the last time his family spoke to him.

Family members said Dover did not have any serious medical problems, but he was diabetic.

"The only thing I can figure out is maybe he went into a sugar attack, and when he does, he starts screaming and hollering," Gail Dover explained.

"Our corrections staff approached him and started speaking with him, and he passed out on to the floor. At that time they started CPR," said Sheriff Eric Watson.

Dover was rushed to Tennova hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

According to Watson, the inmate was not alone at the time -- he was in the jail booking area, which has more supervision.

"He wasn't actually in the jail pod part. He was in the booking are where a lot of officers are at," said Watson.

The TBI's investigation was launched at the request of District Attorney General Steve Crump and the Bradley County Sheriff's Office.

Dover's body was transported to the State Crime Lab in Nashville, where autopsy results are pending.

Stay with Channel 3 for updates as they become available.

PREVIOUS: The TBI is investigating an inmate death at the Bradley County Jail.

The investigation comes at the request of 10th District Attorney General Steve Crump, according to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation.

The death occurred in early Friday morning. 

Hershal Dover, 53, who had been in custody at the Bradley County Jail since March 16th, became ill early Friday morning and was transported to the hospital for treatment, where he was later pronounced deceased. 

The Bradley County Sheriff’s Office notified General Crump of the death, who in turn requested the TBI to investigate the circumstances surrounding the death.

The investigation is in the very early stages. The cause of death and the related circumstances are under investigation.