The deadline has passed for a plea agreement in the case of a former Hamilton County Sheriff's Deputy accused of sexually assaulting a woman while on duty.

Willie Greer is indicted on federal charges of a civil rights violation, kidnapping and possessing a gun during the commission of a crime.

Greer was fired after he reportedly forced a female he pulled over for speeding to perform a sexual act on him while she was handcuffed. The victim's attorney, Bill Speek, said his client is determined to get justice.

"Given what she went through, she's remarkably strong," Speek said. "She has always had one interest in this case, and that is seeing justice."

After the woman came forward in January 2014, Greer was terminated. The state charged him with aggravated rape and official misconduct.

"This is one of those cases where it's very important when someone has been traumatized by an officer, that they show the strength to come forward," Speek said. "But for what she's done, then Willie Greer would still be on the force."

The state dismissed its charges in September due to the former deputy now facing federal charges.

According to the the federal indictment, Greer deprived the victim of her civil rights by "sexually assaulting her" in a way that "resulted in bodily injury."

Count two accuses him of kidnapping the victim and "holding her for the purpose of sexually assaulting her" in his police vehicle.

Count three notes Greer used his gun during the assault.

"At this point, it's just in the legal process of heading to trial dates in either or both," said Speek, who explained that federal court cases are typically resolved quicker. When cases are pending at both levels, he said the state often waits on the federal court's outcome.

"With a federal indictment on board now, I think there's going to be somewhat of a holding pattern on the state cases... until those federal issues get resolved one way or another."

The state does have the option of bringing back those charges against Greer in the future, depending on the outcome of the federal case. But District Attorney Neal Pinkston said that's not something that happens often.