A Chattanooga woman was arrested in connection with a fire on March 29 at Mountain Brook Apartments.


Captain Craig Haney says he and other firefighters noticed the strong smell of gasoline in the apartment where the fire occurred. They called in the Fire Investigation Division to investigate. Evidence suggested one of the two occupants had been sniffing, or “huffing” gasoline in the apartment’s bathroom.


The person sniffing the gas apparently lit up in the bathroom. With the room full of gas fumes, a fire erupted. The two occupants in the apartment were not injured. Chattanooga firefighters responded quickly and were able to contain the blaze to just one apartment unit. The dollar loss was estimated at $75,000.


Victoria Daniels was arrested following investigation. Officials say Daniels and her husband were evicted from Mountain Brook Apartments and were staying at the HomeAway Extended Stay Studios on Northpoint Boulevard in Hixson.


Officials say when they responded to the motel they could smell gas from inside. Daniels refused to answer the door, so the investigators entered through a window and apprehended her. Inside, they found two one-gallon bleach containers full of gas inside the motel room.


Daniels faces six counts of reckless endangerment. That charge stems from the danger the other residents were exposed to when Daniels’ gas sniffing led to the fire at Mountain Brooks Apartments, according to investigators.