CHATTANOOGA (WRCB) -- Jeremy Lane will serve his full sentence for killing a Unum employee with his car, just days before Christmas in 2009.

Last month, Lane came up for parole. But Wednesday, it was denied.

Lane was sentenced in 2011 to seven years for hitting Susan Wood with his car, as she walked to work.

To cover the crime, he told police he was the victim of a carjacking.

Members of the Board of Probation and Parole say because of the severity of his crime, Lane should stay behind bars.

While holidays are hard, Matthew Wood says it's during the insignificant moments he misses his wife the most.

"I catch myself saying to myself more often than not, ‘I miss you, Susan. I wish you were here'," he says.

Nearly two and a half years have passed.

Matthew no longer visits the place on 4th Street where Susan died, and he has stopped carrying the tube of lipstick she had in her pocket that day.

"Lingering over what was is not healthy," he says. "And focusing on what is, is more healthy. That's where I'm at."

He calls it "his new normal."

"The kids are slowly getting that pep back in their step," Matthew says. "They're happy again and that's what I care about."

Moving forward was made easier by the parole board's decision to deny Jeremy Lane an early request.

Matthew received a letter from the board explaining their ruling, citing the severity of the crime Lane committed by hitting Susan, leaving the scene and claiming to be the victim of a carjacking.

"Anything less than a full sentence would make a mockery of the law," says Matthew.

Matthew says there was relief in that moment.

Last month, Lane told the parole board he's completed his GED during his time in prison.

He apologized to Matthew and Susan's children. But like the board, Matthew believes Lane needs more time to change his ways.

"You hope that prison is really a reforming experience and not one of purgatory, where you serve your sentence, you get out, and you do it again," says Matthew.

When an offender is denied parole, the board can set a new hearing between one and six years.

But the board voted not to hear Lane's case again. That means he will remain in jail until 2016.

He's being housed at the Morgan County Correctional Complex.