Victim in Westside Drive cigarette fire dies
CHATTANOOGA (WRCB)-- A 60-year-old woman who was severely burned when her bed caught fire has died.
Bruce Garner, spokesperson for the Chattanooga Fire Department, says Edy Baker died over night.
On July 28, Baker received severe burns to 60 percent of her body, after falling asleep while smoking a cigarette. Garner says the lit cigarette sparked the fire on her mattress, which spread throughout the rest of the room.
Firefighters were able to contain the blaze to the bedroom and treated Baker for her severe injuries at the scene.
The victim was assessed at Erlanger, before she was flown to a burn center in Augusta, Georgia.
Garner says the fire was ruled accidental and no other injuries were reported.