John P Franklin was the recipient of numerous awards and honors from many professional and civic groups for his educational and civic involvement.
The building was abandoned in 1983 and originally slated for demolition, it was instead renovated and reopened in 1999 as a mixed-use structure housing restaurants, retail shops, and apartments.
Cornerstones, Chattanooga's only non-profit Historic Preservation Organization, exists to preserve the architectural heritage and urban fabric of Chattanooga.
The facility was founded to provide lifetime care to more than 200 former research chimpanzees at its sanctuary on 236 acres of forested land in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Georgia.
The history of the Highlander Folk School reflects the course of organized labor and Civil Rights movements in the South, as well as the struggles of southern activists between the 1930s and early 1960s.
According to the park, more than 11.4 million people visited last year, an increase of a little less than 1 percent from the previous year.
Dedicated on July 30, 1915, Walden Hospital became the first hospital in Chattanooga to be owned, operated, and staffed by African Americans and dedicated to their treatment.
Five short years before her death, Mary Walker enrolled in a class with the Chattanooga Area Literacy Movement (CALM), and learned to read for the first time in her life at the age of 116.