Cook uses bare hands to check cooked chicken's temperature; evidence of rats found
This week, some restaurants in nearby Whitfield County have some cleaning up to do, and one in particular needs to work on proper food safety and handling techniques. Another needs to address a rat issue.
In Dalton, the Bamboo Express earned a failing grade of 66 on the follow-up inspection from July 6, where they scored a 73.
Inspectors found the main cook and person in charge didn't know the proper, safe temperatures for holding or cooling food, and bare hands were used for ready-to-eat food (chicken).
Inspectors found 12 large plastic containers of chicken that were cooling. The cook told inspectors that the temperature of the chicken was checked with "his bare hands to check if the chicken is cool enough to refrigerate." The chicken was later thrown away.
Additionally, a bodily fluid clean up kit was not available, a repeat violation.
At Big D's Taqueria, inspectors gave the establishment a score of 73. There, they found raw eggs stored over ready-to-eat foods, grilled chicken breast not being held at safe temperatures (it was discarded after the inspection), food handlers not wearing hair restraints (nets), and a service window that was standing open, allowing flies in.
Even though Conductor's Bar and Grill, 319 N Hamilton Street in Dalton earned a score of 77, inspectors found evidence of rats and out-of-date food being stored that was later discarded.
Hamilton County Restaurants
- 85 Fuji Steak & Sushi 5437 Highway 153
- 86 (96) The Meeting House 3912 Dayton Blvd
- 94 City Cafe Diner 7641 Lee Highway
- 95 Crust Pizza 103 Signal Mountain Road
- 95 Shogun 1806 Gunbarrel Road
- 95 El Meson 2204 Hamilton Place Blvd.
- 96 Krystal 4850 Hixson Pike
- 96 J Alexander's 2215 Hamilton Place Blvd.
- 97 Bojangle's 2023 Dayton Blvd.
- 97 Cracker Barrel 8852 Lee Highway
- 97 Waffle House 8912 Lee Highway
- 97 Subway 2610 Amnicola Highway
- 97 Ankar's Hoagies 4764 Highway 58
- 98 Waffle House 7705 Lee Highway
- 98 Red Lobster 2131 Northgate Park
- 98 Taco Bell 2303 Dayton Blvd.
- 98 St. John's Restaurant 1278 Market Street
- 99 Wendy's 4500 Highway 58
- 99 Mojo Burrito 1800 Dayton Blvd.
- 100 Touchdown Wings 2610 Brainerd Road
- 100 Amigo's 1900 Dayton Blvd.
- 100 Fiamma Pizza Company 405 N. Market Street
Hamilton County Pools
- Traditions Pool (HOA) 900 Traditions Drive; pool closed immediately due to excessive turbidity.
Hamilton County Tattoos/Body Piercing
- 100 Blackhand Tattoo 4810 Hixson Pike
- 86 Little Caesars(Ringgold) 6977 Nashville St., Ringgold
- 92 Box Enterprise D/B/A Tropical SNO, 2336 Lafayette Rd., Ft. Oglethorpe
- 86 McDonald's #5276, 5471 Alabama Hwy, Ringgold
- 80 Fresher and Better LLC DBA Battlefield Burgers, 794 Battlefield Pkwy., Ft. Oglethorpe
- 100 Dade County Nutrition Center, 9622 S US Highway 11, Trenton
- 92 Pizza King, 500 S Third Ave STE O, Chatsworth
- 90 El Trio Mexican Restaurant, 2078 N Main St., LaFayette
- 96 Boss Burgers, 1616 McFarland Ave, Rossville
- 97 Parkside Operations LLC D/B/A The Center for advanced rehab at Parkside, 110 Park City Rd, Rossville
- 96 Mary and Martha's Personal Care, 616 Mohawk St., Rossville
- 94 TK'z Wingz, 700 MLK Jr. Blvd, Dalton
- 92 Kelly's Restaurant LLC, 1700 S Dixie Hwy SPC A, Dalton
- 85 Tacos y Guisados-Mary's, 101 W Walnut Ave STE 19, Dalton
- 77 Conductor's Bar and Grill, 319 N Hamilton St, Dalton
- 73 Big D's Taqueria, 3451 Cleveland Hwy, Dalton
- 66 Bamboo Express, Walnut Square Blvd. (original score 73)