Two TN Valley cities ranked as safest in the state
You don't have to go far to find two of the safest cities in Tennessee.
Safewise has released their rankings of the state's 20 safest cities.
"Tennessee may be home to some of the highest crime rates in the country, but as the latest FBI report details, it’s also home to safe havens," Safewise explained.
In the Tennessee Valley, Signal Mountain and Collegedale are both in the top 10.
Signal Mountain was ranked as the third safest city, and Collegedale came in at number six.
Safewise said they reviewed the 2016 FBI crime report statistics and population data to make their list.
"Our evaluation is based on the number of reported violent crimes (aggravated assault, murder, rape, and robbery) in each city," Safewise explained. "If there was a tie, we also factored in the number of property crimes (burglary, arson, larceny-theft, and motor vehicle theft). To level the playing field, we calculated the rate of crimes per 1,000 people in each city. This makes it easier to directly compare the likelihood of these crimes occurring in cities with vastly different populations"
The report explained that Signal Mountain has a population of 8,577. Only .47 crimes were violent per 1000 people, while 4.31 crimes per 1000 were property crimes. 10.81 percent of total crimes in the city are considered violent. The other 89.19 percent are property crimes.
Collegedale has a larger population than Signal Mountain. The city's population is 11,245 people. Only .71 crimes were violent per 1000 people, while 12.18 crimes per 1000 were property crimes. Of total crimes in the area, only 5.84 percent are considered violent. The other 94.16 percent were property.
To read the full report, visit Safewise's website.