Family loses home after storm damage and gas leak
A fallen tree destroyed a family's home on Northwind Drive in Harrison and caused a major gas leak.
One family is without a home because of Monday’s storms.
A fallen tree destroyed their home on Northwind Drive and caused a major gas leak.
Phillip Rippeon was at work when a he got a call from his wife telling him what happened. He says while his wife and 19-month-old daughter immediately made it out safe their three boys were stuck inside.
Phillip's wife and daughter were upstairs when the tree uprooted and sliced through their home.
READ MORE | Strong storms slam the TN Valley
“She called me hysterical because the boys were trapped downstairs and she couldn't get to them,” says Phillip.
Phillip’s wife and daughter escaped through the back door.
“When she came around the front she couldn't get downstairs because the tree had fallen through the foyer,” says Phillip.
Phillip says his father-in-law was able to pry the front door open and get them out. But as they walked outside, gas quickly consumed the home and two others nearby. EMS crews say the fallen tree damaged a gas line on the side of the home.
“That was the reason why we asked for an evacuation for the time being. Thankfully, we have not had a report of any injuries whatsoever,” says Amy Maxwell, Hamilton County EMS spokesperson.
After crews contained the gas leak, Phillip’s family immediately filed in, helping to clear tree limbs and debris. It was an emotional sight for Phillip who held back tears watching them work.
“I'm thankful for my family. They really take care of me and they take care of each other. We're pretty tight knit,” he says. “The main thing is getting them taken care of so now we have to figure out what we're going to do as far as living situation wise and everything. That's really the main thing going through my mind right now.”
Phillip and his family moved into the home about a year ago. They hope to repair the damage and go back.
In the meantime, the family is staying at a hotel for a couple of nights with the help of the American Red Cross.