Dalton City Schools ranked top three safest in Georgia, study says
The list was curated using information from the U.S. Department of Education, the FBI, parent reviews, and other data.
(WXIA) - DALTON– Just five days after a report about Georgia’s safest school districts was released, a teacher was taken into police custody after a shot was fired at a local high school.
On Wednesday around 12:15 p.m., Dalton City Police were called to Dalton High School after a shot was fired. Just minutes later, police took a male teacher into custody after he allegedly barricaded himself in a classroom.
According to a review by Niche, Dalton City Schools ranked three behind Buford City Schools and Camden County Schools as the safest in Georgia.
The list was curated using information from the U.S. Department of Education, the FBI, parent reviews, and other data. Student absenteeism, suspensions, and expulsions were also factored into the rankings, well as a percentage of students referred to law enforcement and school-related arrests.
Here is a look at the top 25 safest school districts in Georgia, according to Niche:
- Buford City Schools, Buford
- Camden County Schools, Kingsland
- Dalton City Schools, Dalton
- Madison County Schools, Danielsville
- Atlanta Area School for the Deaf, Clarkston
- Calhoun City Schools, Calhoun
- Marion County Schools, Buena Vista
- Georgia School for the Deaf, Cave Spring
- Fannin County Schools, Blue Ridge
- Georgia Academy for the Blind, Macon
- Rome City Schools, Rome
- Habersham County Schools, Clarkesville
- Trion City Schools, Trion
- Mitchell County Schools, Camilla
- Tift County Schools, Tifton
- Marietta City Schools, Marietta
- Bremen City Schools, Bremen
- Bacon County Schools, Alma
- Decatur City Schools, Decatur
- Hall County Schools, Gainesville
- Gordon County Schools, Calhoun
- Liberty County Schools, Hinesville
- Berrien County Schools, Nashville
- Cartersville City Schools, Cartersville
- Monroe County Schools, Forsyth
Read more at WXIA's website.