10 Things to Know for Today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today.
By The Associated Press
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. KELLY FLEXES MUSCLE FIRST DAY ON JOB AT WHITE HOUSE
All senior staffers - including Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner and chief strategist Steve Bannon - will report to the new chief of staff instead of the president.
2. TRUMP THREATENING TO STOP PAYMENTS TO INSURERS
The president would be handing the industry a solid court case, while undermining his leverage to compel Democrats to negotiate "Obamacare," law professors say.
3. POLICE TAKE 2 VENEZUELA OPPOSITION LEADERS FROM HOMES
The moves were the first by President Nicolas Maduro against his enemies since a widely denounced vote giving his government nearly unlimited powers.
4. ANALYSTS DOUBT NORTH KOREA'S ICBM RE-ENTRY CAPABILITY
Video footage capturing the Hwasong-14's re-entry vehicle suggests it failed to survive the extreme heat and pressure after re-entering the Earth's atmosphere, U.S. and South Korean experts say.
5. DEFIANCE THAT MADE ARIZONA SHERIFF POPULAR LED TO DOWNFALL
Longtime critics of Joe Arpaio say his conviction of a criminal charge for disobeying a court order to stop traffic patrols that targeted immigrants is a long-awaited comeuppance.
6. EGYPT'S UNIQUE WAY OF ISSUING FATWAS
Egypt's Al-Azhar institute, the Sunni Muslim world's foremost religious institution, sets up a booth in a Cairo subway station with clerics offering religious advice to commuters.
7. HOW JUVENILE LIFERS ARE DOING WITH THEIR SECOND CHANCE
For dozens released from prison since the U.S. Supreme Court ruled mandatory sentences amount to cruel and unusual punishment, life on the outside can be a rocky transition, AP finds.
8. 'GHOST FORESTS' ACCELERATE IN RECENT DECADES
Dead trees along vast swaths of coastline are being invaded by rising seas, something scientists call one of the most visible markers of climate change.
9. WHAT TOOK A STAR BY SURPRISE
Actor-playwright Sam Shepard preferred to keep to himself, and word that he died last week at 73 took his former co-star Matthew McConaughey by surprise when asked his reaction by AP.
10. AFTER FINISHING 2ND TO PARIS FOR 2024 GAMES, HUGE 'THANK YOU' DUE TO LA
By agreeing to host the 2028 Olympics, Los Angeles finds that consolation prizes from the IOC aren't all that bad.
Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.