Photo provided by the Chattanooga Fire Department.
CHATTANOOGA, TN (WRCB) -
UPDATE: Chattanooga fire officials have released the names of the couple involved in a deadly house fire last week.
Spokesman Bruce Garner says 83-year-old Johnnye McDavid was killed in the fire. The medical examiner says she died from smoke inhalation.
The victim's husband, Charles McDavid, was treated for minor burns and released from a local hospital.
The fire was ruled accidental. Garner says it appears an electrical malfunction sparked the blaze.
Garner says this is the third fire-related this year in Chattanooga.
ORIGINAL STORY: Chattanooga firefighters are investigating a deadly house fire on Durham Drive Thursday evening.
The fire was reported from the 1200 block shortly before 6:30 p.m.
Chattanooga Fire Department spokesman Bruce Garner says a neighbor, Joe Birchfield, saw the fire at the home and went to tell the elderly couple who lived there. When the Birchfield arrived, the front porch was engulfed by flames.
Birchfield ran to the back of the house to find the elderly man, who lived at the home, trying to put out the fire with a water hose. Meanwhile, Chattanooga police arrived at the home and learned that the woman who lived there could still be inside.
The officers and firefighters tried to get to the woman, but the fire was too intense for them to reach her. One firefighter, wearing full protective gear, was injured while trying to rescue the woman.
Firefighters eventually gained control of the blaze.