Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. DOJ APPOINTS SPECIAL COUNSEL FOR TRUMP-RUSSIA PROBE
Former FBI Director Robert Mueller is tapped to oversee the investigation into allegations that Trump's campaign and the Kremlin collaborated to influence the 2016 presidential election.
2. WHY MUELLER'S APPOINTMENT RAISES THE STAKES
White House and campaign records may be subpoenaed, and Trump's presidential privilege to keep West Wing conversations private could be challenged.
3. FAMILIAR FACE AGAIN TAKES ON BIG MISSION
Mueller transformed the FBI into a battle-hardened terrorism-fighting force. Now, he finds himself in the political crucible rocking the Beltway.
4. WHO IS SET FOR A CRITICAL ELECTION
President Rouhani, a moderate, faces a hardliner as Iran goes to the polls Friday with the nation's future interaction with the outside world at stake.
5. OKLAHOMA JURY ACQUITS WHITE OFFICER WHO KILLED UNARMED BLACK MAN
Betty Jo Shelby was acquitted of first-degree manslaughter after saying she fired out of fear last year when she killed Terence Crutcher, who was holding his hands above his head.
6. GRUNGE ROCK LOSES AN ICON
Soundgarden frontman Chris Cornell was on tour in Detroit when he died at age 52, his representative says.
7. WHO A REPUBLICAN LEADER SAYS WAS BANKROLLING TRUMP
A report says House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy said last year that he thought Putin was paying the Republican presidential candidate, a remark McCarthy's spokesman calls "a failed attempt at humor."
8. HOW A LAS VEGAS POLICE OFFICER SUBDUED AN UNARMED MAN WHO DIED
Authorities say the officer used a stun gun seven times and a mixed martial arts chokehold that is not approved by the department.
9. WHERE DEATH IS GOING GREEN
Caskets made of paper and coffins made of wicker on display at a recent Hong Kong funeral industry trade show reflect a trend toward "green burials."
10. BALL TALKS BILLION-DOLLAR BRAND, BUT BIDDERS COULD BALK
LaVar Ball, the outspoken father of former UCLA star Lonzo Ball, says that it will now cost a shoe company $3 billion to make a deal with his Big Baller Brand.
Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.