GA deputy dies after inhaling liquid nitrogen while rescuing wom - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

GA deputy dies after inhaling liquid nitrogen while rescuing woman

Posted: Updated:

AUGUSTA, GA (AP) - Authorities say a sheriff's deputy in east Georgia has died after inhaling liquid nitrogen while trying to save a worker at a sperm bank in Augusta.

The Richmond County Sheriff's Office says in a statement that 57-year-old Sgt. Greg Meagher died Sunday after inhaling a chemical substance. Augusta Fire Department spokeswoman Dee Griffin tells The Augusta Chronicle (http://bit.ly/2kyvs8k ) the substance was liquid nitrogen.

Sheriff's Lt. Allan Rollins said three other deputies were injured, but they're expected to recover.

Richmond County Coroner Mark Bowen said Meagher had gone inside the company, Xytex, to rescue a female employee. Firefighters found both of them unresponsive.

The employee was taken a hospital. Her condition wasn't known.

This story has been corrected to show that Sgt. Greg Meagher was 57.

Information from: The Augusta Chronicle , http://www.augustachronicle.com

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly