Bucatini all' Amatriciana
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces pancetta
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1 pound plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 dried chili pepper crumbled or freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound bucatini or linguine
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano
Heat the olive oil in a heavy saucepan and add the pancetta. Cook over low heat until it takes on a little color without burning. Stir in the onion and sauté until wilted and golden, then add the tomatoes, salt, and the chili or ground black pepper. Cook over moderately high heat until the sauce reduces, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the bucatini and a little salt and cook until al dente; drain. Toss with the amatriciana sauce, transfer to a heated serving dish, and sprinkle with the Pecorino. Serve hot. Serves 4
Recipe courtesy of Italian Cooking & Living magazine. Click here to view more delicious Italian recipes!