Woman saved by smoke alarm in overnight fire - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Woman saved by smoke alarm in overnight fire

Posted: Updated:
Photo: Lt. Chadd Nichols Photo: Lt. Chadd Nichols
CHATTANOOGA, TN (WRCB) -

A working smoke alarm saved a woman in am early Saturday morning fire.

The Chattanooga Fire Department received the alarm around 12:30 a.m. and responded to 1815 Citico Avenue with four fire companies. 

Officials say smoke was showing when they first arrived on the scene. Upon entering the house, the firefighters found a fire inside the wall dividing the living and dining rooms. Firefighters say they found a significant amount of fire that had burnt through the floor and spread upward into the attic space. 

The firefighters then used tools to open up the ceiling and the floor below to extinguish what remained of the fire. 

The woman who lived in the house told firefighters that she was asleep when her smoke alarm activated. She promptly got out of the house and called 911. 

The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental. Officials say the fire appears to have been started by an electrical malfunction inside the wall and crawl space. The dollar loss was estimated at around $20,000. 

WEEKLY CIRCULARS
Powered by Frankly