A fire at a sports bar caused significant smoke damage at the Fountain Plaza forcing neighboring businesses to evacuate.
The Chattanooga Fire Department responded to a business fire Wednesday morning just before 8:30 at Fountain Plaza on Lee Highway.
When firefighters arrived, smoke was coming out of Epic Sports Bar and Grill and back up was called.
The fire broke out just as businesses at the complex were getting ready to open for the day.
"We opened the salon and there was just billows of black smoke coming from the ceiling down," described Sheri Bryant, Owner of Villa Salon.
Bryant's salon is just two doors down from where the fire began. Smoke filled her salon, forcing her to re-schedule her clients until the smoke cleared.
"A little shocking yes, but we're just thankful no one was hurt. Had it been 15 minutes later we would have clients in so we are just thanking God no one was in the salon."
The fire was located in a storage room next to the restaurant's kitchen.
A manager at Epic Sports Bar and Grill did not want to speak on camera but tells Channel 3, they believe the cause of the fire is likely electrical. However, fire investigators have not yet confirmed that.
For now owners of neighboring businesses like Bryant's said they are working with insurance companies to get back open as soon as possible.
"We'll have the assessor come in and just see what needs to happen just to make sure smell is out of the duct work. We are so thankful it's not worse there's not soot on the walls that we can tell," Bryant said.
The extra crews were not needed as the fire was quickly put out. Damage to the restaurant was minimal.