Defense: Harris "hysterical" at scene of hot car death
The defense team for Ross Harris began Tuesday morning's opening statements saying the death of 22-month-old was Harris' fault WATCH LIVE | Ross Harris Trial Ross Harris is responsible for a child's death.
The defense team for Ross Harris began Tuesday morning's opening statements saying the death of 22-month-old was Harris' fault
WATCH LIVE | Ross Harris Trial
Ross Harris is responsible for a child's death. It's his fault," Attorney Maddox Kilgore said. "Ross has always acknowledged that this was his fault."
The Kilgore was quick to also point out Harris' sex life, "no matter how perverse and nasty and wrong that we think it is," has nothing to do with Cooper's death.
"His sexting throughout the day was after he had forgotten Cooper," Kilgore pointed out.
According to the attorney, Harris' closet friend said Harris was dealing with "sexual sins in his life" and was reaching out for helping, including confessing to his men's group at church and asking for prayer.
The opening statements, which lasted nearly an hour and a half, also included:
- Showed dash camera vide of Ross Harris at the scene.
- Showed video of Ross Harris crying while in an interrogation room.
- Showed video of Ross Harris hugging his then wife Leanna in an interrogation room.
- Talked about evidence showing Harris was "planning for a future with Cooper."
- Pointed out Harris is deaf in his right ear.
- The jury will hear from Harris' ex-wife during the trial.
Visit the original story from our NBC partner at 11Alive.com