Officials: Power cord malfunction caused Memphis deadly fire - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Officials: Power cord malfunction caused Memphis deadly fire

Posted: Updated:
Family members emotional after learning of the tragic fire. (Source: WMC Action News 5) Family members emotional after learning of the tragic fire. (Source: WMC Action News 5)

By ADRIAN SAINZ, Associated Press

MEMPHIS (AP) - Authorities say a house fire that killed six children and three adults in Memphis was caused by an electrical malfunction in an air conditioning unit's power cord in the living room.

The Memphis Fire Department released the cause of Monday morning's deadly fire as relatives and friends mourned their loved ones.

Memphis Fire Services Director Gina Sweat says fire crews found three adults and four children dead in the home. She says two other children died after being taken in extremely critical condition to a children's hospital. One other child remains hospitalized.

Sweat called it the deadliest fire in Memphis since the 1920s.

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly