UPDATE: Smoke detectors save lives in early morning fire - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

UPDATE: Smoke detectors save lives in early morning fire

Posted: Updated:

UPDATE: Smoke detectors are being credited with saving the lives of a Hamilton County family Tuesday morning.

A 911 call to sent firefighters to the Dallas Bay home, where flames were showing when they arrived.

Firefighters were able to quickly contain the fire and prevent it from spreading to the home's attic. 

The smoke alarms woke the family of three, who were able to safely escape the home.

Chief Markus Fritts, the Dallas Bay Fire Chief, reported the fire started from a discarded cigarette in an ashtray on the back deck of the home. 

The damage to the home is estimated to be $10,000 according to Hamilton County Emergency Services.

The family will be staying with friends and family.


PREVIOUS STORY: A fire damaged a home on Varner Road in Hamilton County.

Dallas Bay Fire Department responded to the call. Officials on scene tell Channel 3 that smoke detectors saved the lives of three people inside the home.

The residents woke up to smoke detector around 5:30 a.m and were able to get out of the home. Officials say at this time, the cause seems to be from smoking materials on the deck. The fire spread up the back of the house and to the attic.

Stay with Channel 3 as this story continues to develop. 

Powered by Frankly