Walden Ave. duplex fire caused by wall heater - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Walden Ave. duplex fire caused by wall heater

Posted: Updated:
Photo from Chattanooga Fire Department. Photo from Chattanooga Fire Department.
CHATTANOOGA, TN (WRCB) -

A fire in a duplex Friday afternoon left a family of four homeless.

The Chattanooga Fire Department received the alarm shortly after 2:00pm and responded to 6317 Walden Avenue with four fire companies.

Battalion Chief Jeff Eldridge said the fire was located in the "A" side of the duplex. The firefighters made a quick interior attack and extinguished the fire in roughly ten minutes. No injuries were reported. 

Captain Terri Roshell with Quint 8 said the fire appears to have started at a wall heater in the hallway. A pile of clothes was placed directly in front of the heater. When the clothes got hot enough, they burst into flames.

The family told firefighters that they did not know the heater was on.

The cause of the fire will be ruled accidental.

Captain Roshell estimated the dollar loss at $15,000.

The fire caused enough damage to force the two adults and two children to stay elsewhere. Volunteers with the American Red Cross of Southeast Tennessee were called in to provide the fire victims with a temporary place to stay, along with other assistance. Chattanooga police and Hamilton County EMS also provided assistance on the scene.

Powered by Frankly