UPDATE: A Hixson man lost the home that belonged to his parents in a fire this morning, his parents recently passed away.
Firefighters spent several hours putting out the blaze, which injured two firefighters. It happened at about 5:30 a.m. Thursday at the corner of Baltusrol and Masters Roads in the Valleybrook subdivision.
Intense flames could be seen through the second story window of the vacant home.
Chattanooga Fire Department Public Information Officer Bruce Garner said first responders were dispatched to a nearby location, but had trouble getting to the home.
"They could see a large plume of smoke so they realized they were given the wrong address by the 911 caller,” Garner said.
Garner said when firefighters arrived the roof had already caved in. Firefighters switched their priority to containing the fire and protecting nearby properties.
“The house was totally engulfed in flames, there was no way the firefighters could've gone inside, there was no point, it was too late,” Garner explained.
The home owner did not want to speak on camera but tells Channel 3 that the house belonged to his parents who recently passed away. He said, he frequently stopped by to check on the home and planned to move in soon.
Neighbors close to the fire evacuated as a precaution. Sheri Schannuth's daughter alerted her family just after the fire broke out.
"Her window was glowing orange. She looked outside and saw police and said the card's house is on fire,” Schannuth said.
Two firefighters received first and second degree burns and were transported to the hospital for treatment. One was released the other was taken to a burn center in Nashville for further assessment.
Update on injured firefighters. 1 was treated & released. The other is being taken to Vandy's burn ctr for further assessment. #ChattFire