Overnight kitchen fire damages elderly woman's home - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Overnight kitchen fire damages elderly woman's home

Posted: Updated:
CFD photo CFD photo
CHATTANOOGA -

An overnight kitchen fire caused quite a scare for an elderly woman, just four days shy of her 78th birthday.

The Chattanooga Fire Department says firefighters were dispatched to a fire at 1123 Cranbrook Drive just after 1:15 a.m.

In a release, CFD Battalion Chief Don Bowman says  the fire was in the kitchen and firefighters were able to extinguish the flames fairly quickly.

The woman inside the home told firefighters that a smoke alarm woke her up. As she made her way out of the house, she sustained a laceration to her leg. She was transported by Hamilton County EMS to a local hospital. Her injuries were not life-threatening, but she was admitted to the hospital for treatment of her injuries.

The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental, most likely from an electrical malfunction. The dollar loss is estimated at $65,000. 

Powered by Frankly