UPDATE: Chattanooga police say the five suspects involved in a carjacking arrest are all juveniles.

"It's crazy that no cars were in the intersection, no people were on the sidewalk when the car flew up through there," said Blake Wilkey, "It was crazy that no one got hurt."

Blake Wilkey works at Revelator Coffee Company and first heard the stolen car speeding down Market Street bridge, then saw it crash into a tree.

"It was very reckless behavior on the part of these juveniles that put a lot of people at risk," said Officer Mark Frazer.

What surprises Wilkey the most is no pedestrians were injured when the car ran onto the sidewalk.

"From that direction, that corner right there usually has tons of people, walking this way, walking that way, going to get dinner with their family," Wilkey said.

Chattanooga Police said the owner of the Chevy Malibu called 911 after being carjacked at gunpoint and alerts went out to all officers to be on the lookout.

An officer spotted the car near the Market Street bridge as he was working Riverbend, that began a short police chase before the driver crashed the car in front of Walgreens.

"Right when it hit the tree it was just a huge crashing noise and the tree almost flew up in the air and crashed on top of the car," Wilkey said.

Eyewitnesses took pictures of the heavy police presence not knowing what exactly happened to warrant so many officers.
Officer Frazer said it's a warning to anyone else thinking of starting trouble downtown during Riverbend.

"Expect this. We will not tolerate any illegal behavior downtown," he said, "We want people to come down, feel safe in our community, we want all people to feel safe in our community."

A Chattanooga Police Officer on a motorcycle arrested the five teenagers back behind Walgreens, that's where they ran after the car crash.

The first suspect faces charges of aggravated robbery and evading arrest.

The remaining suspects each face charges of evading arrest and criminal conspiracy.

Officials say the gun used during the carjacking was a pellet gun.

PREVIOUS STORY: The Chattanooga Police Department said a carjacking was reported to officers at 5300 Central Avenue at 7:26 p.m. on Saturday.

Investigators said multiple suspects carjacked a victim at gunpoint and ran off in the victim's gold Chevrolet Malibu. Officers noticed the car traveling north on Market Street near the 4th Street intersection that matched the vehicle description from the reported carjacking.

Police tried to initiate a traffic stop on the vehicle on Market Street at Aquarium Way. When the investigator turned on his emergency lights on his police motorcycle, the suspects drove off.

They tried to make a right turn from Market Street onto Frazier Avenue, but were going too fast to negotiate the turn. Officers said they lost control of the car and crashed into a tree on the westbound sidewalk. Five suspects ran away behind the Walgreens.

Officers arrested all five suspects at 7:45 p.m. No one was hurt in the incident.

Charges are pending and the CPD Violent Crimes Bureau is continuing to investigate.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Chattanooga Police Department at 423-698-2525.

Stay with Channel 3 as this story develops.