Kitchen fire damages Riverfront home - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Kitchen fire damages Riverfront home

Posted: Updated:
Photo Credit: Captain George Turley Photo Credit: Captain George Turley
CHATTANOOGA, TN (WRCB) -

A kitchen fire was the cause of a fire that occurred on Sunday afternoon. 

Chattanooga firefighters responded to a house fire around 3 p.m. in the 3700 block of Thrushwood Drive. Captain, George Turley, incident commander, said the firefighters got the fire out quickly, containing the fire damage to the kitchen area. Officials say there is some smoke and water damage to adjacent rooms. 

The lone resident of the house, a 91-year old man. Told firefighters that he had just put a pan of oil on the stove to heat up, and left the kitchen. When the man returned, the stove was on fire and spreading to the cabinets above the stove. The man tried to put the flames out with a fire extinguisher but when that failed, he got out of the house and called 911. He was not injured. 

The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental. The man will be staying with relatives until repairs are made to the house. Captain Turley estimated the dollar loos at roughly $30,000

Powered by Frankly