Family wakes up to chimney fire; no injuries reported - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Family wakes up to chimney fire; no injuries reported

Posted: Updated:
A homeowner called 9-1-1 reporting a chimney fire located at 500 Hathaway Drive on Signal Mountain. Signal Mountain Fire Department responded and arrived on the scene reporting heavy fire shown from the chimney. 
Firefighters quickly entered the home and found the fire inside a pre-fab chimney. They were able to extinguish the fire and contain it to the chimney without spreading to the attic and the interior of the home. Due to the extreme cold temperatures, Signal Mountain Fire Department requested mutual aid response for additional manpower. 
The homeowner told fire officials, they were awoken to large popping sounds coming from the chimney. The family escaped the home without injury. 
The chimney is destroyed and estimated at $50,000 in damages. 
Powered by Frankly