Moc student-athletes raise academic bar, set new mark with 3.113 GPA
CHATTANOOGA, TN (gomocs.com) -- The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga is enjoying an impressive run of competitive success to this point in the 2015-16 academic year. The Mocs won their third straight Southern Conference Championship in football and took home their first league title in volleyball since 1998. UTC is also picked to win the SoCon in three winter sports, including men's basketball, women's basketball and wrestling.
As good as things are going in competition, the performance of UTC student-athletes in the classroom is even more impressive. The Mocs finished with a school-record 3.113 grade-point-average for the 2015 fall semester. It is the fourth-straight term with a 3.0 and the second in a row over a 3.1.
"The Vision of Chattanooga Athletics is to achieve excellence, and you are definitely seeing that across the board," stated UTC Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics David Blackburn. "The efforts of our student-athletes in the classroom and in competition are tremendous, and their hard work is paying off with outstanding results. They represent themselves, our athletics program and our University in an exemplary fashion, and I am proud of all they have accomplished."
A school-record 157 made the Dean's List, while a record 189 were on the Athletics Director's Honor Roll. Over half of all Mocs (53.8%) were on the Dean's List with a 3.2 g.p.a. and 64.7% made the honor roll with at least a 3.0.
This is the 13th-straight semester over half of all Mocs scored a 3.0 or better. It is also the fifth consecutive term a school-record 12 teams posted a 3.0.
"Our coaches and staff should also be recognized for their willingness to grow a competitive mindset in their programs," said Blackburn. "A tone is set from the beginning with how we recruit, and our Academic Staff does an outstanding job guiding our student-athletes throughout their careers."
The men's golf (3.65), softball (3.40) and wrestling (3.04) teams all had program records. The golfers set a new high for the second term in a row, with all seven team members making the Dean's List. The wrestlers broke the 3.0 mark for the first time and also set new highs with 22 on the A.D. Honor Roll and 16 on the Dean's List.
The SoCon Champion football team had its best fall on record with a 2.69. The football team also had program bests with 29 on the Dean's List and 40 on the honor roll.
The men's cross country team had its best fall with a 3.79, capturing the highest mark of any team this semester. Women's golf had its best fall with a 3.76, while soccer's 3.35 is second only to the 3.41 posted in the fall of 2010.
Individually, there were some notable Mocs among the 34 who made 4.0s. Three-time SoCon Football Offensive Player of the Year Jacob Huesman is among those with a 4.0. Emily Drouin and Paul Stuart both made the Cross Country All-SoCon teams while also having a perfect semester in the classroom.
"It takes a lot of hard work to maintain the success we have experienced in the classroom in recent years," added Blackburn. "It is important to celebrate these achievements, without getting complacent. Our coaches and academic support staff are always searching for new and innovative ways to equip our student-athletes for success. It is a constant challenge to maintain such a high level of performance, but one that our student-athletes keep achieving each and every semester."
- School record 3.113 overall g.p.a. … fourth consecutive term with a 3.0+ GPA.
- School record 157 on the Dean's List with a 3.2 g.p.a. … 53.8% of all student-athletes made the Dean's List … highest percentage on record.
- School record 189 on the A.D. Honor Roll with at least a 3.0 or better … 64.7% of all student-athletes is a school record.
- 13th straight semester with over half of all Mocs at a 3.0 or better.
- Tied a school record with 12 teams posting a 3.0 or better for the fifth straight term.
- Men's Golf had a program record 3.65 … huge jump from the 3.47 in the spring, which was its previous high … all seven team members made the Dean's List.
- Softball had a program record 3.40.
- Wrestling topped the 3.0 mark (3.04) for the first time … program records with 22 on the A.D. Honor Roll, 16 on the Dean's List and five 4.0s.
- The SoCon Champion football team had its best fall with a 2.69 … set marks with 29 on the Dean's List and 40 on the A.D. Honor Roll.
- Men's cross country had its best fall with a 3.79.
- Men's tennis tied a program record with eight on the Dean's List … 3.39 is second only to the 3.46 in the fall of 2012.
- Women's golf had its best fall with a 3.76 … second only to its 3.82 in the spring of 2014 … tied a program record with seven on the Dean's List and A.D. Honor Roll.
- Soccer's 3.35 was its best since a 3.41 in the fall of 2010 … tied a program record with 19 on the Dean's List.
- Women's Cross Country/Track & Field tied a program record with 19 on the A.D. Honor Roll.
Programs With a 3.0+ Team GPA – 12 (Ties School Record)
Men's Cross Country – 3.79
Women's Golf – 3.76
Women's Cross Country – 3.71
Men's Golf – 3.65*
Women's Track & Field/Cross Country – 3.63
Women's Tennis – 3.42
Softball – 3.40*
Men's Tennis – 3.39
Women's Basketball – 3.36
Soccer – 3.53
Volleyball – 3.31
Wrestling – 3.04*
* program record.